Date: 3rd February 2018 at 10:57pm
Written by:

Wycombe Wanderers 4 Carlisle United 3

The Chairboys made it five wins in a row as Marcus Bean, yes Marcus Bean, scored a 96th minute winner.

Paris Cowan-Hall had already equalised in the 93rd minute after Wycombe had thrown away a 2-0 half-time lead to trail 3-2.

A Luke O`Nien red card early in the 2nd half had given Carlisle hope and they duly turned the game on its head. But Bean was there to show why this Wycombe side could well get promoted.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the side that excelled at Luton on Tuesday, Matt Bloomfield replacing Tafari Moore after his head injury at Luton, with Dom Gape slotting in at right-back.

After a flying start on Tuesday, Wycombe didn`t come out of the traps so quickly today, the visitors the more lively side with Cole Stockton hitting a cut back narrowly wide.

Adam El-Abd, who was heroic on Tuesday, took a cut to the head and returned with a bandage round his head as Wanderers were momentarily down to ten men.

Luke O`Nien then appeared to be fouled, but with nothing given. Kris Trawdek raced free and beat Scott Brown only for Gape to clear off the line.

The game continued to be an even affair, with Wycombe struggling to stamp their authority on proceedings.

Then just before the half hour mark, the hosts took the lead. A long free-kick was helped on by Adebayo Akinfenwa and Bloomfield prodded home past Jack Bonham for his second goal of the season.

The lead was doubled soon after. The on-form Paris Cowan-Hall shot, Bonham spilt it and O`Nien fired the loose ball into the roof of the net for his third goal in his last three Adams Park appearances.

Akinfenwa then tried his luck, but Bonham got there to deny the frontman. Keith Curle then made a change, with Luke Joyce being replaced by Kelvin Etuhu.

Just before the half-time whistle Dan Scarr headed a Joe Jacobson set-piece wide and it finished 2-0 at the break.

In truth Wanderers hadn`t been brilliant but despite that, they led 2-0, the sign of a good team.

However, although it looked like game over, it turned out to be far from it.

Jamal Campbell-Royce came on for veteran Clint Hill at the break, and the second half had barely started when the game changed completely.

A United shot was cleared off the line by O`Nien and the referee deemed it handball and pointed to the spot. To add insult to injury, O`Nien was also shown a straight red card.

The decision didn`t just affect today`s game, but also next week`s big trip to Exeter. According to Ainsworth, replays show it wasn`t a handball, and an appeal has been hinted at.

Danny Grainger converted the spot kick.

The visitors should`ve levelled moments later, but Jamie Devitt fired over when in acres of space.

Wanderers were on the back foot, but as on Tuesday at Luton, Tyson was threatening on the break.

On one such occasion he broke clear and rounded Bonham before the keeper brought him down. A penalty was awarded and Bonham booked.

Joe Jacobson stepped up, but it wasn`t his best penalty, and Bonham saved. This miss only contributed to the turnaround.

Devitt headed in a cross from the right via a deflection from Scarr, and just two minutes later Cole Stockton headed home from a free-kick to turn the game completely on its head. 3-2 to the Cumbrians.

Scott Kashket entered the fray in place of Tyson with 17 minutes left, and after 82 minutes Ainsworth made a double substitution in a bid to salvage the game.

Craig Mackail-Smith and Nathan McGinley replaced Gape and Jacobson as Wanderers went to three at the back with Cowan-Hall and Mackail-Smith playing as wing backs.

Akinfenwa had a half volley saved by Bonham as the game seemed to be running away from the Blues.

Five minutes of stoppage time were added, and in truth the game looked gone. This team however, have different ideas.

Three minutes into the five, a Mackail-Smith cross found Cowan-Hall and his brave header found the back of the net despite a strong hand from Bonham. The ten men had salvaged a point.

But that wasn`t the end of the drama. The clock ticked over into the sixth minute of stoppage time, a Matt Bloomfield free-kick was headed clear, but only fell to Bean on the edge of the area.

Bean hit it on the volley and it flew past Bonham into the bottom corner of the net. The crowd erupted as he sprinted the length of the pitch past the Frank Adams stand in celebration.

It was 4-3 Wycombe. Marcus Bean had actually scored a Wycombe Wanderers goal, and it was a 96th minute volley from 20 yards to win the game. Adams Park was in shock.

The whistle went immediately after the restart. Wanderers had won despite having 10 men and being 3-2 down in the 92nd minute.

After the late winner at Crewe, the performance at Luton, and now today, you have to feel something special could happen this season.

Next up is a trip to fellow promotion hopefuls Exeter. After recent events, you can`t help but hope three more points could be on the way.

Ratings :

Brown 7 – Huge save at 2-3

Gape 7 – Missed him in midfield.

Scarr 6 – Still improving.

El-Abd 6 – Not what he was on Tuesday but still crucial.

Jacobson 6 – Penalty wasn`t that bad.

Bean 8 – OMG

O`Nien 6 – His red card could have cost us. Will need to see it again. Could be a huge loss at Exeter.

Bloomfield 6 – Quiet game but chipped in with a goal.

Cowan-Hall 7 – On fire recently and a late goal makes it 4 in 4.

Akinfenwa 7 – Absolute work horse when 3-2 down. What a man.

Tyson 6 – Put in a shift.


Kashket 6 – The goal could be coming.

McGinley 6 – Helped the formation change.

Mackail-Smith 6 – Did what he does.