Date: 25th November 2017 at 8:42pm
Written by:

Wycombe Wanderers 2 Yeovil Town 1

The Chairboys beat the Glovers at Adams Park for the first time since joining the Football League thanks to a fine strike from Eberechi Eze and a penalty from Joe Jacobson.

Both goals arrived late in the first-half, but the chance to relax at the break with a 2-0 lead was thwarted when Francois Zoko immediately pulled one back for the visitors.

The second half contained a couple of scares but remained goalless, so the Blues banked a valuable three points to climb three places to 5th in the table.

Wanderers are suffering from injuries and fatigue at the moment and that was reflected in a flat performance and atmosphere that only came to life in fits and starts.

Manager Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side that lost at Accrington, with Dan Scarr replacing the suspended Adam El-Abd and Dayle Southwell getting a rare start in place of Craig Mackail-Smith.

Mackail-Smith hadn’t fully recovered from a strain picked up at the Crown Ground, but he was given a place on the bench, as was Sam Saunders who missed the Stanley game through illness.

With Dominic Gape still missing for personal reasons and Nick Freeman ill, the remaining subs were Yves Ma-Kalambay, Jack Williams, Will De Havilland and Marcus Bean.

The first half was the Eberechi Eze show.

The QPR loanee fired his first shot over the bar after 5 minutes, had a curling effort saved after 9 minutes, stung Artur Krysiac’s palms with a rasping drive at the near post after 20 minutes, and scored the opening goal after 37 minutes.

No other player from either side had a significant attempt on goal during this period.

The opener saw Eze rifle home from the edge of the area when the ball fell to him after a spell of Wycombe pressure in which Yeovil failed to clear their lines.

The visitors had offered nothing up to that point apart from taking advantage of Bloomfield and Scarr colliding to launch a quick breakaway that was thwarted by fine defending from Wanderers’ flamboyant full-back Sido Jombati.

So when more Eze magic released Cowan-Hall who was brought down in the box, and Joe Jacobson converted the spot-kick after 43 minutes, it looked like it might be a comfortable afternoon for the Chairboys.

That thought lasted about a minute.

Suddenly Yeovil were through on goal and as Sam Surridge rounded keeper Scott Brown it took a superbly timed tackle from Anthony Stewart to save the day, only for Jordan Green to collect the loose ball and cross for Zoko to fire home.

The first-half finished with a flurry of efforts from the visitors, the final one an audacious long-range shot that had Brown scrambling backwards to tip the ball over his crossbar.

The second half was a grim affair.

Despite the psychological boost of closing the gap just before the break, Yeovil weren’t quite good enough to take advantage of any nerves in the Wycombe ranks.

The closest the visitors came was a drive from Green that went narrowly wide, and a heart stopping shot from Zoko that skidded across the face of the Wycombe goal just minutes from time.

Wanderers hadn’t been much better. A free kick from Jombati was comfortably saved and another from Jacobson was deflected behind, but that was about it until Adebayo Akinfenwa closed proceedings with a spectacular turn and volley that rattled the Yeovil crossbar as the final whistle sounded.

The Chairboys host Leatherhead in the FA Cup next Sunday, and their next league game is at Stevenage in two weeks time.

Line-up & ratings
Brown (6), Jombati (6), Stewart (7), Scarr (6), Jacobson (6), Bloomfield (6), O`Nien (6), Eze (8), (Saunders 85 (n/a)), Southwell (6), Akinfenwa (6), Cowan-Hall (7) (Mackail-Smith 89 (n/a))