Date: 8th October 2016 at 10:13pm
Written by:

Yeovil Town 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Wycombe’s three match winning run came to a grinding halt with a 1-0 loss at Yeovil Town today.

Gareth Ainsworth named the same starting eleven that defeated Exeter City at Adams Park a week ago, but was dealt a blow when forward Scott Kashket was ruled out by illness. He was replaced on the bench by Stephen McGinn.

Last week’s winning goalscorer Adebayo Akinfenwa was also struggling with illness and took no part in the pre match warm up.

It was a dismal first half performance from Wanderers with just one shot on goal to show for their efforts, a scuffed effort from Garry Thompson that drifted well wide after he was put clean through by Paris Cowan-Hall.

It was Cowan-Hall who offered Wycombe’s brightest spark in the opening period, a willing runner that got to the byline on more than one occasion, but found no takers on his cut backs and teasing deliveries. He was supplemented by the neat and tidy central midfield partnership of Danny Rowe and Dom Gape who broke up play well. Elsewhere though, the two wingers were disappointing and captain Paul Hayes was anonymous.

It took Yeovil a good while to settle down but when they did they created the better chances in the opening period, well that is because they actually had some.

First Nathan Smith cut in from the left and hit a low right footed shot that goalkeeper Jamal Blackman did well to tip round the post. Hedges sent in a rising shot and Lacey headed into the ground and over, both missing the target before Hedges made his next opportunity count on 36 minutes.

Midfielder Alex Lawless was allowed to stride forward unchallenged for far too long before hitting a fierce shot that Blackman tipped onto the post, with the rebound falling kindly for Hedges to slot into the empty net.

It was nearly two just minutes later when Harriman was nudged off the ball and unwisely chose to argue the decision rather than play to the whistle, with winger Khan ghosting past him and whipping in a dangerous cross that somehow eluded everyone.

The second half required a significant improvement from the Chairboys, but all it got was a marginal step up that never really threatened an equaliser.

A Cowan-Hall header drifted comfortably into Artur Krysiak’s hands before Akinfenwa replaced Thompson just after the hour mark.

It was almost an immediate impact from the Beast as his presence caused havoc in the Yeovil backline, but Rowe could only stab the ball wide from close range on the rebound.

Bloomfield then replaced Gape and soon won a free kick, only for Jacobson to curl it over the bar.

Jacobson then cramped up with ten minutes to go and was replaced by Nick Freeman with the game incredibly scrappy by this point.

Two mis-hit Hayes efforts and a powerful drive into the side netting from Freeman was as close as it got for Wanderers, who huffed and puffed but ultimately never looked like scoring in a frustrating afternoon.

Ratings: Blackman (6), Harriman (5), Stewart (7*), Pierre (6), Jacobson (6), Thompson (5), Gape (6), Rowe (6), Wood (5), Hayes (5), Cowan-Hall (7)